Powered By Blogger

21 September 2010

Positano Vacation


The trip could not have come at a better time! Let me tell you, What and EXPERIENCE!

Within ten minutes of being in Naples, Italy I saw someone get mugged.  Of course I am not saying Naples is unsafe but when you decide to travel, a little word of advice, never leave your wallet in any of your pockets.  The poor man who was robbed had just arrived in Italy with his wife for the first time.  But they did not let the situation of them sharing a few laughs with me on the train ride from Naples to Sorrento.

The bus ride from Sorrento was packed with tons of tired tourists that were sick of the heat.  I wanted to tell them to shut it because I had been dealing with 110 degree weather this summer.  You come to Italy in the summer, expect warm temperatures.  Once the bus made the turn towards the Almafi Coast everyone was in absolute awe while I was holding back my breakfast.


I knew I had made the right choice in coming to Positano.  Upon arrival to the Hostel Brikette I was happily greeted by the owner and her adorable puppy.  I booked a dorm room and was surprised she upgraded me to a private room and bathroom.  Yay for traveling in Italy in Mid September!

After running up to the room my only thought of what to do with my afternoon was enjoy the beautiful beach below, mind you WAY BELOW! A surprising discovery is that if you have terrible knees, all I can say is Buona Fortuna (good luck).  Getting around this city by walking is all down and up stairs.

The views were spectacular walking down the 800 steps to the beach.  The weather was never a let down, I was fortunate to have constant sun the entire trip.  The first day I was lucky enough to meet a lovely couple from Minnesota! The woman ironically was aware of the town in Wisconsin my family and I would go to when I was young! This world is way too small sometimes.  My dinner was a masterpiece of squid and linguine with a spicy tomato sauce.  YUMMM

The next few days were spent wandering around the curvy and tiny alleys of Positano in the mornings and in the afternoon I would always end on the beach.  My last night I met some great girls from Australia and another from Texas (originally Illinois...way south haha).  The girl from Texas and I had a great dinner at the last Trattoria in Positano.  The service was wonderful and the wine did it's magic.  We came back to the hostel (50 meters away, without steps :D) and just drank out on the terrace and enjoyed some dainty cigarettes.  

Going back to Florence had to happen, it was a reality that I was about to return to the United States.  I said my goodbyes and headed out after a lovely morning swim on the little beach.  Took my last walk up those horrible stairs and went to catch my bus.  In short on the way home my right middle finger was slammed into the luggage door of the bus and no one helped me (hooray for crappy ass tourists) and a lovely polish couple that were spending their last night in Naples.

This vacation was spur of the moment and I am happy I went through with it.  I only now look forward to returning and hopefully returning with a friend or family member.

Peace, Love, and Laughter

Stephanie

2 comments:

  1. Positano looks beautiful, it reminds me of Santorini, Greece. What was the Wisconsin town that you and your family used to visit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hayward, Wisconsin. The lakes that are famous up there is based around Spider Lake. Remember when my dad sent me that fudge to school? Ya its from there! YUMM and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete